Sunday 25 September 2011

Terry update. Plunger.

Ooh, we're getting somewhere, albeit, nowhere particularly fast, but at least with that plunger unit removed I can have a think about what to do next. Had a spare 10mins after finally getting the 4x4 back together and noise-less yesterday, so had a closer look at the plunger set up. I had made up my mind to replace the springs anyway, as they had suffered a lot of heat in a bid to get the thing undone, but then in a fit of temper, I had attacked one of the shrouds - actually, it wasn't really a tantrum, but I thought if I could expose more of the spring, I could perhaps compress it and then get the mole grips or similar, on the rod which would give me a better grip than the broken screw slot. But it didn't work, because I couldn't get enough of the shroud out of the way. Anyway, that's not the problem. The problem is at the end where the rod screws into the frame. The Tractor Fixing Man pointed out that the thread isn't up to much inside the 'lug' on the frame, and I see now what he meant, but the odd thing is, the 'lug' on the other side of the frame, is larger - no wonder that plunger had already been removed, it probably just fell out! I haven't measured it in a very technical manner, just stuck the digi-measuring-thingy on it, and the left side is 13.7mm and the right side is 15.4mm. So have you got any suggestions as to how I can get the two lugs tapped and made to match the size and thread of the new rods that I'll need to buy?

3 comments:

Hairy Larry said...

Opened it up like a can of sardines...boy I haven't a clue, seems they wouldn't have two different size threads in there.Maybe one is still "stock"...the smaller one. No matter, they have to match the new rods. I suppose one could make up an adapter of sorts that would thread in, and in turn have the correct thread to fit the new rod (that is if there is room in there to accomplish it)-maybe there is an available thread insert that can rectify the situation....? .On second thought, you may have opened up a can of worms.

Gorgeous Biker Chick said...

Probably a can of worms Larry ;-) But I have a plan....be right back....

Bodger said...

Possibly the side with the larger hole may have been bodged (Didn't touch, I swear M'Lord) and got reamed/tapped to a bigger size?

Maybe an insert as Larry suggests, drilled and tapped to the right size could do it.

Tractor Man might know just the Manny to do it if he can't manage.

Followers

Country Counter

free counters